The kitchen is the heart of a home. It is where most people in the family come together with one agenda. A good kitchen defines the whole house so when remodeling it you need to get it right.
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOURSELF
- What is the total number of people that will use the kitchen?This question will help you know how much space is needed. That is how spacious you want to your kitchen. If the kitchen will be used by many people at the same time then having a large working space will be necessary. This may also determine the best design to have.
- What type of people will be using the kitchen? This is the kind of people that will be accessing the kitchen, will the kids be getting into the kitchen, or will the elderly be using the kitchen? This helps in having the right tools installed. For instance, rails will be great for a kitchen where the old might be using it.
- What kitchen appliances do you have or intend to get? A kitchen is the appliances that are in it. Knowing the kind of appliances you have or plan to buy will help you in knowing exactly how you want to remodel the kitchen. Do you wish to have more than one oven or fridge? What type of fridge or freezer will you have? Do you want these appliances to be visible or hidden? These questions help you in ensuring the kitchen layout blends with the appliances you have.
- How will the kitchen fit with the rest of the house? The kitchen is linked to other rooms in the house like the dining area or the living room. Will the kitchen and the dining room be together? Since the food needs to be carried from the kitchen to the dining area, then these two should blend well. Therefore before remodeling know how the kitchen will fit in with the rest of the house.
- What design do you want? This could range from the color, the flooring and the kind of storage. Do you want a modern kitchen or traditional or even a blend of the two? Will you have cabinets or will the storage be different from the kitchen? These help you know what design you want and which design goes hand in hand with your personality. You also know what materials you will need and hence be well informed before the actual remodeling
- How much will it cost and what is your budget? You need to ask yourself how much the remodeling is going to cost in terms of materials to be used, labor among other things. You also need to know your budget for the remodeling and know if the budget matches the cost. This helps in planning well before actually remodeling and making any changes on your budget.
Remodeling just like any other form of construction requires good planning. To do a good job you need to know what you want and the above question helps in clearing some things up for you.